The Better Candle Co. candles are made using only 100% pure soy wax. Unlike other waxes, soy wax is a natural, renewable wax that is toxin free and produces little to no soot. Below are some Frequently Asked Questions regarding our soy wax candles:
- How long should I burn my candle?
- The very first time you burn your new candle you need to plan to burn for 3-4 hours, or until the wax melts to the edge of the jar. Please allow the wax to melt to the edge upon each consecutive burn.
- Why do I need to allow the wax to melt all the way to the edge?
- Fun fact: Soy has memory! If your wax does not melt to the edge it will create a pool near the wick. When you burn your candle again the wax will never melt to the edge of the jar and instead burn a tunnel down through the center of the candle, leaving so much wasted wax on the edges. This is sad and is a user error, not a candle error.
- Why do I need to trim the wick to 1/4 inch before burning?
- Remember capillary action? When a wick is lit it melts the wax and the wax is pulled up into the wick through capillary action. Aren't you glad you paid attention in school? If the wick is too long it will not get enough fuel from the wax because the wax has to travel too far and the pull is weak. A trimmed wick helps ensure that the wax will be able to fuel the flame, keeping the flame a safe size, and preventing potentially dangerous flare-ups.
- Also, you want to trim off the "mushroom", which is the carbon build up you may notice after burning your candle. Trimming can be easily done with a wick trimmer, nail clippers, or small sharp scissors.
- Why is my candle lumpy after it cools?
- This is just a natural characteristic of soy wax, there is nothing wrong. Congratulations, this is the sign of a candle made with 100% pure soy wax!
- Why are there tiny bubbles in my candle?
- Again, just another characteristic of pure soy wax. Nothing is wrong, air gets trapped in natural soy wax. No big deal.
- What type of wick is used?
- We only use lead-free, cotton wicks.
- What type of packaging is used?
- Sustainability is a priority at The Better Candle Co. We try to use the most eco-friendly, economical packaging options. Therefor we use biodegradable packing peanuts (soak them in water, its fun!), recyclable bubble wrap made from post-consumer sources, recyclable shipping boxes, and in the hot months reusable ice packs. The packages may not be the prettiest, but it sure does feel better being able to recycle it all!
- Do you accept returns?
- We will gladly send a replacement if your candle breaks during shipment. Although we package the candles to the best of our ability we know that sometimes things happen. We just ask for a description and pictures of the broken items. Please contact us if there is a problem with your order. We do not, however, accept returns on undamaged items.